This recipe started out as a shrimp recipe. I subbed in tofu and loved the results! The coconut milk flavor with peanut butter and red curry paste makes a classic Thai-inspired, creamy sauce.
- 1 pound of tofu or plant based protien
- 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil divided
- 2 gloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 onion peeled and sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper seeded and sliced
- 1/2 orange bell pepper seeded and sliced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4-6 tablespoons of Soy Sauce ( I buy ‘No Soy” Soy Sauce )
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons lime juice about 1/2 large lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 1 green onion chopped
- Red jalapeno pepper thinly sliced (optional)
- Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium high heat with 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the garlic, onion and peppers and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer the peppers and onion to a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet and cook the tofu.
- In another bowl or 4-cup measuring cup mix the coconut milk, soy sauce, peanut butter, lime juice, chili flakes, brown sugar and ground ginger and stir well.
- Transfer the cooked onion and peppers to the skillet and pour the coconut milk mixture of the peppers. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer and cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tofu to the skillet with the basil, cilantro, jalapeño and toss to coat. Serve over rice or noodles. Garnish with more cilantro and basil, chopped green onion and sliced red jalapeño of desired.