I love making anything in the crockpot, but there is something extra special about having Mexican tacos waiting for you at the end of a long day! This recipe is a nice change from a classic Taco Tuesday. Quinoa tacos are a special treat and they are extra flavorful after cooking all day.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce (I like the Siete brand )
- 1 can (15 ounces) corn
- 3 tablespoons or 1 packet taco seasoning
- Flour tortillas ( I like the Siete brand )
- Top with your favorites: vegan queso or cheese, diced avocado, cilantro, tomatoes
- Rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh colander to remove bitter coating.
- In a large crockpot (I use a 6 quart crockpot), add in the quinoa, veggie broth, drained and rinsed black beans, undrained diced tomatoes in tomato juice, enchilada sauce, drained corn, and packet taco seasoning (or homemade taco seasoning).
- Stir. Cover and cook on high 2.5 hours to 4 hours depending on the heat of your slow cooker.
- Important notes with cooking quinoa in slow cooker: slow cookers cook at different temperatures! You’ll want to watch this carefully if you have a slow cooker that runs hot so the quinoa doesn’t get mushy. This recipe doesn’t work on low because quinoa will get mushy when cooked on low for long time periods.
- When quinoa is cooked through, serve on tortillas and top with your desired toppings.
- Garnish with a squeeze of fresh lime, cilantro, a diced avocado, and vegan cheese