Tofu can sometimes get a bad reputation for being bland, because it IS! If you don’t season or cook with it properly, it won’t taste delicious! I was never a big fan of tofu until I learned how to cook with it and found some recipes that I truly loved. This recipe is hands down my favorite tofu recipe I have ever made. Be prepared to fall in love with this sandwich!
- 1 block extra-firm tofu
- 1 ciabatta baguette, cut just large enough to fit the tofu slices
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1/2 tbs avocado oil
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbs liquid smoke
- 1/3 cup vegan mayo
- 1 tsp srircha
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1 large avocado
- 1/2 small tomato, chopped w/seeds removed
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1 tbsp red onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro finely chopped
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- leaves of spinach or butter lettuce
- sliced red onion
- sliced tomato
- Cut block of tofu in half ( so you have 2 square blocks and then slice each block lengthwise into thirds to make square patties.
- Drain the tofu
- If baking, preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Combine the rest of the marinade ingredients (maple syrup, soy sauce, sriracha, olive oil, liquid smoke and garlic) in a shallow dish and marinate the tofu patties for a half hour, flipping halfway through
- Scrape off the extra marinade before cooking and reserve the excess.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium-low and add the leftover marinade. Bring to a simmer and cook until just thick. Remove from heat.
- Baking: Place patties on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10 minutes, flip and bake another 10 minutes. Top with 1/2 the thickened glaze and bake for 4 minutes, flip and top with remaining glaze and bake another 4 minutes. Warm buns in oven during the last 2-4 minutes of cooking time.
- Pan-frying: Heat 1/2-1 tbsp oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Place patties in oil and cook until browned around the edges, about 5 minutes. Flip and brown the other side. Top with 1/2 of the thickened glaze and flip, cooking until the glaze bubbles and thickens. Top with remainder glaze, flip and cook until both sides are coated with glaze.
- Chipotle-Sriracha Mayo: Combine all ingredients and let sit while tofu marinates.
- Guacamole: Combine all ingredients and let sit with tofu marinates.
- Veggies: Prepare all veggies with tofu marinates and bakes.